THINGS TO DO
1. Fall veggies are in full swing.
With the cooler weather, it's a perfect time to get some lettuce, spinach and
actually everything in the ground.
2. What would fall be without fall
color? Our 4" mums are spectacular. Also the Ornamental Cabbage and Kale. Don't
Garlic is in. Divide the bulbs into cloves and plant 4-6" apart. You can have
your own garlic next spring!
4. Daffodils and Tulips are in. Use
some bone meal or bulb food when planting.
5. Keep dead-heading roses. They
will flower right into November. A light fertilizing right now is beneficial to
give a little spurt of growth and/or flowers. Watch out for aphids.
6. Fall is a great time to plant
just about everything. With cooler weather, plants are less stressed which means
you will be more successful. Fall planting also gives them time to root some so
that when spring comes they take off quickly. Y
7. As the continues, food is scarce
for deer and they get more desperate for food (especially roses!) Be prepared!
Use Liquid Fence Deer Repellent every 1-2 weeks on your most treasured plants.
It really works!
8. Now is a good time to go to the
nursery to check out
trees and shrubs that get fall color. Some are just starting. Chinese Pistache,
Red Maples, Trident and Japanese Maples, Red Oaks, Flowering Pears, Liquidambar
- even Crape Myrtles turn nice fall colors. Don't forget many shrubs like
Heavenly Bamboo (Nandina).